I had the opportunity to go support a friend, Heather, who wanted to audition for a tv show. The show is X Factor. It is within its first season so it has not aired yet. X Factor is very similar to American Idol, but the difference is that in addition to soloist, it also allows groups to perform. There is also no upper age limit. Apparently on American Idol, once you are past 28 you are "too old". I could go off on a tangent about that, but I'll keep my youthful 35 year old mouth shut : )
We drove up the night before & had to check into the audition place (Sears Center in Chicago (not really the city Chicago, but a suburb that is considered the Chicago area)). We had to sign waivers, show id, get identification bracelets. All for a 2 minute audition. Ok, it's show business....whatever.
We were back at the Sears Center at 5 a.m. the next morning. It was dark & chilly. But at least it wasn't raining like the weather forecast had called for. We were put into a coral and got comfy with a lot of other strangers who were all there for the same reason. Unfortunately for us, the weather man was eventually right & it began to rain. We were at least prepared. Heather had an umbrella and I had brought along 2 rain ponchos. It started as a light spitting rain, but eventually gave way to a fairly steady drizzle. We were miserable, but in a fun once in a lifetime way. We started talking to the people around us and eventually participated in the tv shots for the camera that they were cueing us to do. Local & national new stations were interviewing people. At one point we were standing 10 feet from MTV interviewing some guy. We did other things like dance, sing and do the wave with our umbrellas. All because the X Factor people told us to and because we were cold, miserable and had nothing else to do to pass the time in the rain.
Here is Heather & I standing outside.
They didn't let us in until 8:30. By then we looked like drenched rats, I'm sure. Ok, I did, at least. But I was just her support person so I didn't care. I took this picture once we got into the building. That empty coral is where we had been standing.
This was inside the arena. We were not suppose to take ANY pictures AT ALL! Ok, but in Stephanie words.....that's like telling people they can't smile. Duh! Impossible! I will so sound like a teenager, but everyone else was doing it, so I did too. The only thing they were doing to crack down on offenders was go up to them and say "no cameras allowed". Ooooo, since I was so not shaking in my boots I snapped a few. But only a few. It's not like I was breaking the law, just the rules. Not the same thing, right. Don't answer. Just let me have my joy in a few precious pictures of my day. Ok?!!?
We also got a special announcement from Mr. Simon Cowell. I actually took video of that. I won't even upload it on youtube. They might just come hunt me down. Ok, so I was shaking a little in my boots. I'm not a total rebel.
And then we waited....and waited.....and waited......AND WAITED! We met some nice people and had plenty of fun. We also met some weird people. We probably made some judging comments. I admit it...I JUDGE. There were a lot of people there. All different types, fashions, ages. You name it, we probably saw it. One guy kinda tried to be our buddy when we gave in and paid waaaay to much money for lunch. We listened to his stories and entertained him for awhile. I gave him a few of my cold, gross, overpriced fries. But we had to get outta there when he asked to keep Heather's water bottle after she was done with it. FREEEEKY! So sorry dude from Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia....or where ever you were from....you were creeping us out!
I got kicked out of the arena. Ok, so I didn't, but that sounds much more dramatic. I had left the arena to go out to the car. I had wanted to sneak some more snacks in and I had left my ipod charger out there as well. So a little break out to the parking lot was not going to hurt anyone right? I strolled out of the arena, right past plenty of guards, security personnel. Nothing was said to me, nothing was posted about leaving. When I came back in all stocked up & refreshed I felt like a total drug smuggler. I had hid some donut sticks in my clothing. I knew they were going to check my bag, but they were not going to do a body search. I had to walk slowly so that nothing fell out and the packing wouldn't make too much noise. Ok, just in case you never knew this....I AM A TOTAL DORK! But when I walked back in they informed me I could not come back in. Once you leave the building you are D-O-N-E! I was livid. As livid as one gets when they are stiff, tired, cold and hungry. Which means I wasn't that livid. My stomach hit the floor though in total anguish about leaving my friend up there without me. That was the whole point of the day.....to be her support person. I did give them a slight piece of my mind about they could have told me....they could have large visible signs posted about leaving. Luckily I at least had my phone on me so I could call her & tell her. She came down & brought me my stuff. Then I had to go wait the remaining hours by myself. (in total honesty it was a slight relief cause at least I could leave & get some "real" food at a decent price.)
My friend did not making it to the next round. No golden ticket for her. She was ok with that, really truly. Neither one of us felt like it was a wasted day at all. For me I got to go do something that I never had before. It was a day of memories with a friend. That is NEVER a waste! You might even see me (us) in a quick shot when the show airs this fall. Most importantly I was there for my friend. She is happy with knowing that she tried. She can look her little girls in the face & say "mommy has a dream.....and she TRIED!" We don't always get to say that. Kuddos to her!!




No comments:
Post a Comment