Now, this IS Galesburg, so the race scene is not really a hot spot. Sometimes, though, that is really nice. It's great for many reasons, one of them being local talent is more easily spotlighted. And I don't just mean me, either. There was a group of kids that came out to run. Their finish was far from the records books. Yet they still placed in their age group. The look on their face & the sheer excitement they showed when hearing their names announces was priceless.
So anyway, the weather was awful. Cold, rainy & the ever so dreaded windy. It's fair to say we were all miserable. Which again, though, that makes it nicer because the true die hards are out there on those days. The crowd was small, but we were there for one main goal....to run!
Now, coming in 1st amongst the females has it advantages. Like, the newspaper being on hand to picture you as you finish. It's not a vain thing, but I really like seeing pictures of myself. I love seeing life captured in pictures and all too often it is me behind the camera. Although I did see him standing there so I had pleasant, but not too obvious smile as I finished. (My favorite pictures are of when I'm unaware of the camera & it captures me truly in the moment).
So here is my photo finish. It was published in the paper the next day (but not in color) with all of the other winners. I think you can find it framed & selling on ebay for like $.01. (Haha). I looked up my past times & it certainly wasn't my fastest time, but it wasn't my slowest either. I didn't really have any competition to push myself or strategically run. I think the closest female came in a minute after me. I don't point that out to boost my image up, but to show how little the field of competition was. It's all a matter of perspective anyway. I ran a 7:20 pace and Kara Goucher when 9 months pregnant ran that "slow jog" pace without any effort. (I bet you are wondering who in the world in Kara Goucher. Only one of the top female runners in the U.S.) So sure, in Galesburg on a cold rainy miserable morning I'm a top notch athlete. But in the whole world spectrum of running, I'm just your average runner. Really though, in that moment in my life, I'll embrace it either way & move on.


No comments:
Post a Comment