Friday, May 13, 2011

Aunt Winnie

This past week I bid farewell to my great aunt Winnie.  I was not necessarily close to her.  I don't think I was ever close to anyone particular in my family.  For me though, it doesn't take any type of close relationship or deep connection to make them special to me.  IT'S FAMILY!  That's all I need.  I didn't pick these people, God chose them for me.

I do remember Aunt Winnie for as long as I can remember. She is one of 8 Weas children.  My grandma is also a Weas.  I pretty much saw her every summer at the Weas family reunion.  First sunday in August, comes just as guaranteed as Christmas.  The Weas clan & their offspring gather & fun is had.

Aunt Winnie was always happy & laughing.  Well, most of the family is.  Always laughing having a grand old time often at times in a redneck kind of way.  Yep, that's us.  The stories I could tell you.  The memories I have.  So many of them filled with family I only saw once  a year.

Alzheimer's runs in the family.  It's not fair.  Not that anything that takes a family member away is.  First it was Aunt Margie Mae.  She died 3 years ago.  This time it was Aunt Winnie.  The last few reunions have not been as fun for her.  She doesn't know who anyone is or why we are all there.  I worry/fear about who is next.  I WILL be devastated if/when it happens to my grandma.  Just thinking about it just makes me want to cry.  I know it's God's plan & purpose, but it's still hard.

I really liked this poem that I found at the funeral.  It makes me cry.  But I will still hold dear my memories of Aunt Winnie.

God Saw Her Getting Tired
God saw her Getting tired,
and the cure was not to be.
So He put His arms around her
and whispered "Come with me."
With tearful eyes we watched her
and saw her pass away.
Although we loved her dearly,
we could not make her stay.
A golden heart stopped beating;
hardworking hands at rest;
God broke our hearts to prove to us,
He only takes the best.
 


Winifred V. Fusco
December 3, 1926 - May 8, 2011

No comments: