Jim turned 41 a few weeks ago. Leading up to this day Jim kept asking if I was planning any get togethers for him. He knows that I am notorious for planning parties, mostly surprise ones, for him. I kept telling him no I wasn't planning anything. He had a really hard time believing me. He'd even try hard to look deep into my eyes to see if I was trying to pull a fast one. That of course would make me laugh and he couldn't tell if I was being silly or being serious. Our day (s) really were too busy for planning anything extra.
Anyway, per tradition I made Jim's favorite cake, German Chocolate. From scratch, of course. Earlier in the evening Jim saw me making some cupcakes. When he inquired about them I told him I was making them for the Jazz Showcase, which was totally & completely true. However, as soon as he left the house I got to work on his special cake. He walked in right when I was putting the frosting on, but I managed to hide it from view. When he walked out of the kitchen I quickly took it downstairs. He knows I "hid" things down there on top of the washer so I made sure I hid it extra good.
That day was busy & crazy with many of us having activities that took us here, there & everywhere. We were not all home as a family until almost 9 o'clock & finally the kids & I were able to celebrate his birthday with him.The kids had made him some homemade presents, cards & drawings. Andrew gets so cute & will dig out his favorite matchbox cars & will "wrap" them for Jim to open. It's such a big deal for Andrew to part with his favorite cars for dad's sake. Jim usually plays with them for a bit, then puts them into his sock drawer where he tells Andrew he'll take good care of them. After a few days Andrew forgets they are in there & Jim will add them back to the toybox and Andrew rarely ever realizes they are back. He has even given the same car to Jim on more than one occasion. Gifts are not Jim's love language so I wasn't really planning on getting him anything. He SO hard to buy for him anyway. The kids came up with an excellent idea though. Jim is always "borrowing" their ipods so he can have something to listen to, especially when he runs. So I went & bought him his own ipod. He was surprised & had no clue that I had gotten him anything. I had put Mandy in charge of putting a playlist together so he could have it pre-loaded & ready to go. I ended up having to re-do it though because she had nothing but Taylor Swift (which she insists he LOVES) and Justin Bieber on it. Go figure.




No comments:
Post a Comment