(Baby) Carmen does not feel good. I'd say she is sick, yet she has no fever or any other common sick like symptoms. I knew the moment I saw her this morning that she did not feel good. She is pale and not up to doing much. Clingy is the main mood today. Whiney is in tough competition for that top honor. Combine those two together and it became quite clean that the only thing I would be doing today is holding, cuddling & comforting my baby girl. In a nutshell I've been forced to have a very unproductive day.
She did eventually fall asleep in my arms mid morning (thank you Tylenol) and I managed to transfer her to my bed for a good nap. Knowing that this opportunity would only last as long as she slept I lept into action and got a quick basic cleaning of the main level done. Laundry got sorted. And, of course, I allowed myself a few minutes to "waste" on facebook. Sometimes, I think, when I know how little & how crucial my time is I tend to get more done than usual.
Once she was up I was back to rocking & cuddling. I did multi task a little & managed to squeeze in a phone call to my boss to replace our meeting that was scheduled for today. And I'm multitasking now. I've gone from holding her in one arm while typing with the other, typing with both hands as she sits next to me, to sitting here staring at the screen because both arms are surrounding her. She has given me a few other breaks where she is content for whatever reason so I scurry off and switch the laundry over or answer an email, etc., etc. For it being an unproductive day I've managed to get plenty done.
Many, I'm sure, would beg to differ though. For the value & productivity of a mother does not depend on what she accomplishes in her daily life, but what she does in the life of her child(ren). Almost anyone who reads my blog will probably shout "Amen Sister!" This may seem like common sense to us, but it needs to be said often. It's far too easy to lose sight of that, myself included. So today, I am glad for Carmen's demanding whining & constant need for attention. It helped me to slow down and grab some insight to our otherwise choatic life. In hindsight, I'd say I had a rather producitve day. But not in the way one might think. Supper will likely be late (I did manage to get the chicken set out, but have done nothing with it) & the laundry won't get done (not today anyway), but I was there for Carmen. Just being a mommy with lots of love & attention.
Someone posted this poem for me. I have a similar one posted in my home. I thought I would include it to go along with my thoughts for today. Enjoy : )
Babies Don’t Keep
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.
1 comment:
Amen Sister!
Love the poem.
Post a Comment