Friday, August 1, 2008

Deal!

With the ever rising grocery prices I rarely ever buy chocolate milk. It's a bit more than regular milk. My kids ask for it often though. And I am just the best mom ever when I cave into to their parental pressure. Interestingly enough I remember the exact same scenerio playing out when I was a kid. Funny how things come full circle. Anyway...

I was picking up a few groceries yesterday, just bare essentials. I passed the chocolate milk and saw that a gallon was $4.55. Yikes! But my eye caught a few gallons that had been written on with a permanent marker. I sat there starting at those gallons to see if I was seeing them right. Did they really say $1.00 on them? Ok, what's the catch? It took me a second to figure out that the *expiriation date* was August 1, the next day. Not really a problem for us, we could easily down this gallon the same day. Then another gallon caught my eye, same price, but the date was August 3. Even better cause even though I know you can use milk a day or so past the date printed I personally have a hard time doing that. Just some weird ocd thing I have. Yes, I would rather throw a full gallon of milk away than drink it past the marked date.

So I scooped up the milk and paraded up to the front feeling as if I had struck gold. AND I was just the best mama ever. We easily drank 1/2 the gallon down by supper time. Then I did my old mom trick and diluted the left over chocolate milk with regular white milk, instantly creating more. (I think my mom used to do that too!)

1 comment:

Enriched-Mom said...

I do the same trick! It must be a mom thing. I always rush home with the gallon of prized chocolate milk (that they do not get very often) and dump it into almost gone gallon of white milk. They never know the difference!