Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ready to swim!

You know I'm big on taking pictures and/or video. But I don't have a camera rolling 24/7 to capture ALL of life's moments. I really wish I had one, though, for this moment was such a classic in Andrew's life. I'll have to paint you a visual picture of what happened.

Andrew has been taking swimming lessons since the beginning of the year. It's not unusual for us to head into the Y and I send him into the locker room to get ready. I take a minute, maybe two, to take Carmen to the babysitting room. It's only two doors down from the locker room. It really takes me no time at all. That is exactly what happened last week.

When I walked into the locker room I see Andrew has stripped all of his clothes into a big pile on the floor. That boy has become VERY quick & efficent at getting himself taken care of. He's always telling me "I do it mommy, I do it." I also see that his swim trunks are still in his bag. HOWEVER, it's not unusual for him to go potty before getting all the way dressed and heading to the pool.

I grabbed his suit and go to find him. I met up with him right in the bathroom area so that confirmed my suspicion of where he was/what he was doing. We slip on his suite and head out to the pool.

I am met on the deck of the pool by Jodi, a good & long time friend, who has taught all of our kids swim lessons. She greets me with a HUGE smile and says "Oh, there you are!" She continues to inform me that Andrew had already come out onto the pool deck....COMPLETELY NAKED! He had strolled out onto the deck like nobody's business and exclaims to her "I'm ready to swim!"

Jodi has been teaching at the Y for over 20 years and said she has never had this happen before. Some have started to lose their suits getting out of the pool or tried to strip on the deck, but not walk out completely naked. When she saw him, she wrapped a towel around him, walked him to the door and told him to go find me. That would be where he met up with me in the bathroom area.

I guess I won't be sending him into the locker room by himself anymore. : )