Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What I did this summer by Carmen Peterson aka what I've failed to blog about this summer

Well, school has started back up (another post coming soon) & it has reminded me of the reports we used to write about what we did on our summer vacation. Since I have been rather absent here on my blog I thought I would do a big post with all the details. To help reduce on space I will do this in list format. As I am often reminded by a certain un-named husband I will just get to the point!!

Below this post you will see a slide show with pictures to mostly correspond with my list. Not everything on the list has a picture (and I know some are out of order) and not every picture goes with something on the list.

1. OUCH! 4 days before my wedding I cut my finger open. It hurt! It bled! I had 6 stitches. OUCH! It was my first trip to the ER since living in Galesburg. I've been to the ER plenty of times, just not for me.

2. We enjoyed the Mother Daughter Tea put on by our church. A very nice, classy affair. My mom & 2 nieces came over to attend with us.

3. Angel "graduated" from 8th grade. I was totally cool with that. Her heading into high school I haven't been so cool with. Future posts on that will follow.

4. Many of us girls got new & drastic haircuts. Personally I LOVE my hair being so short. I really loved it long, actually I loved how it looked long. It actually being long I hated and was always frustrated with it. Maybe someday I'll grow it out again, but for now I'm lovin' it short. Yes, I donated my hair to Locks of Love.

5. Angel's dance recital. After 8 years of lessons & recitals....we are DONE! She is not too happy about that, but she made the dance team at school (future posts to come) and that will take place of a regular class lesson.

6. Rhubarb 5k. I placed 1st. It was a good run on a cool rainy Saturday morning. Completely worth the full rhubarb pie I won along with my trophy.

7. The annual Peterson Family School's Out Party was held. Fun was had my all!

8. Mom2Mom leadership retreat. It's rough, but we are "forced" out to this lake house, to focus, meditate & plan for our ministry. We are also "forced" to eat until we are stuff to the gills the most delicious food fixed by our beloved Joy & Mari-nanna. As you can see from the picture, it's very rough ; )

9. Family Camp (will get it's own special post)

10. 4th of July 5k (Jim & I) and fun run (John & Nina). John was the first boy to cross the finish line. That's my boy!

11. Fruitland Reunion. Fruitland Baptist Church is where I grew up. The picture is just some of the people who attended. I've known them all my whole life. Some of them are still in the same church. Others of us have moved away & made life somewhere else. We all got back together to have that chance to visit.

12. My nephew Brian's birthday party. Brian & Carmen are 6 months apart in age. The picture of those 2 reminded me a lot of Angel & Derek when they were younger. Close in age & a duo of trouble where ever they went. The picture right after that I just love of Carmen & Angel. I loved it even more when I inadvertently capture Jim & John wrestling around. Jim has always been great at playing with his kids.

13. Received my first pedicure. It was nice & soothing. Painted toe nails is not for me too much though, all my running rubs the polish off rather quickly. It was nice while it lasted.

14. New running shoes. Purple & gold (not yellow Angel) for my high school alma mater. I'm very loyal!

15. Captured a double rainbow. I was surprised when Andrew was the first to see it & exclaim..."look mom a double rainbow!"

16. I had a birthday. Just the usual day, no big hoopla. I did get a very nice present, something I have wanted for well over a year. The nuns & the whole case of SoM sang HB to me at dress rehearsal that night.

17. Was a nun in the local production of the Sound of Music. It was my first bit at community theater. It was fun & a learning experience. Met lots of great people.

18. Wildcat Den & the torrential downpour were from Mandy's birthday party. I know, I never got a birthday interview with her. I never made her a cake either, not for almost a month after the fact. We took her & her friends over to Iowa. After hiking around Wildcat Den we went to the Muscatine water park. Rain came rolling in & we decided to see if it was just going to blow through. We sat on the side under a tiny shelter. It continued to get worse and before we know it the wind picked up & was blowing the lifeguard chairs over & cause chaos. We were ushered into the locker rooms for our protection and had to wait the rest of the storm out in there. Yikes!

19. Austin Auberg, one of my kids, got married. One of my babysitting kids, I mean. I babysat for the Auberg family starting at the age of 12. In high school I was their own exclusive babysitter. Those were my kids & nothing thrilled me more than when the parents would go out late & that meant that I got to cook & feed the kids supper and bathe them & tuck them into bed. It was through them I knew my calling to be a mother of many children. I can't believe they are all grown up! *sniff, sniff*

20. Last several years we took the kids to Adventureland in Des Moines. They love it & never grow tired. Back in the day I used to ride the roller coasters non stop. I have to pace myself these days or else I risk losing my lunch. We had great weather & the lines were not long at all. The addition of the water park was very nice.

21. Angel is into band full swing. They had a car wash a few weeks ago. I took full advantage of having my daughter wash the van while I looked on. She & her band mates, did a good job!

22. It's so hot you could fry an egg....you know how the saying goes. We just finished a spell of 100+ degree temps. I overheard the christian radio station trying this idea. So for fun, we did too.

23. Howl at the Moon. My first timed ultra race. The object to run as much as you want or can in 8 hours. Prior to this day I had not raced any further than a half marathon (13.2 miles), nor had I run any further than 15 miles in training. I pushed myself to the limits, ran 7 of the 8 hours (the other hour made up of changing clothes & a few breaks) and completed 35 miles. The recovery was brutal, but the experience was awesome! I plan to do it again next year!

24. Last Sunday after church Jim pulled into KFC, we grabbed some lunch & headed to the park for a picnic. It was all Jim's idea. The weather was sunny, but very bearable & actually enjoyable. No one else was at the park, just us Peterson's enjoying some family time.

When I was thinking about what I did this summer I was ready to say a bunch of nothing. It doesn't feel like I've accomplished too much. But then I look back at the post and re-think that statement. If this is a slow summer, I don't know if I want to see a busy summer!!!!

No comments: