Sunday, June 7, 2009

The sky is falling....the sky is falling

I know, I sound like Chicken Little. I sure felt like it when I went running downstairs exclaiming that the ceiling collapsed. First let's back up to how this happened.

We had a Friday back in May that is rained, and I mean RAINED, all day. That next Monday night/early Tuesday morning Jim & I were awoken by a loud thud sound. I heard the sound and mildly woke up, Jim shot up out of bed and asked "what was that?" Now, normally Jim sleeps deader than a doornail so for this sound to wake him up is a pretty big deal. I shrugged it off and mumbled that it must of been that one of the kids fell out of bed or dropped something. Jim went upstairs to investigate and came back down to report that everything appeared to be fine. We went back to sleep without another thought.

Fast forward to the next day at bedtime. I went to go put Carmen up in bed & Mandy tells me that the night light in the toy room was not working. I go to investigate and found this:

Insert me running downstairs to exclaim my findings to Jim. Well....I should confess that first I went into the kid's room demanding to know WHO DID THIS? It wouldn't be the first time that a should of know better kid kicked a ball or threw a toy in an unacceptable manner. Once I saw the totally confused look on their face I knew they were innocent and didn't know anymore than I did at this point.
I find it amusing that when I am calm Jim is freaking out and vice versa. And it was vice versa in this case, I felt like a raving madwoman (well, ha ha, that's not too far of a stretch for me on some days) when I yelling "the ceiling fell down". At first Jim thought I was making up such a far fetched idea. But I insisted and he looks at me calm and almost peaceful like and says "I bet that was the sound we heard last night". Ah-ha, the light goes on. Now it made sense. I mean the happenings of the night before, not why the ceiling had fallen in.
We went back upstairs to investigate, we're looking through the debris. I pick up a toy bucket and say...."why is there water in this bucket?" Ah-ha, another light bulb goes on. The roof must be leaking. Which is not good when you remember that we just had a new roof put on less than a year ago. Jim gets out the ladder & is crawling up into the attic crawl space and while he is up there, throws something down and asks me what I think it is?

It took me a few seconds to realize that it is a bird skull. Not a decomposing one, but one that was completely decomposed down to the bones. EEEEWWWW! Maybe it got stuck up there last summer when they had the roof off???? I don't know, but that is GROSS!
I had to throw away a lot of the toys and what was not ruined I had to individually clean (oh, that was loads of fun). But we are very fortunate, blessed to be exact, that is happened in the toy room. If it had been a bedroom there would have been some serious consequences. Since we live in an old house all the walls & ceiling are made out of plaster. Some of the toys were literally crushed and mutilated. If that had been a child's head or any body part....
Well, it's no surprise that God was protecting us, all of us, from what might have been. Thank you Jesus!

No comments: