Saturday, September 26, 2009

Wild Cat Den 5k Trail Run

Wild Cat Den is a state park over by Muscatine, where I grew up. It's a very pretty place, especially in the fall. I don't remember going there too often. One particular visit I remember from there was my senior year in high school. We had gotten out of school early and I decided to skip track practice & instead head out to WCD to hang with friends. We went up through the trails and at one point some of us got stuck up high on a rock, while the others were down below on the trail. In my youthful ignorance I decided to jump down to meet up with my friends. Did I mention I was wearing sandals with so support around my ankles? Yep, as soon as I jumped and landed I had hurt my ankle. It was bad, instantly swelling up to massive proportions. It looked to be broken, but upon further x-rays it was not (the dr. was very shocked). Just a really bad sprain.

So interestingly enough 15 years, plus some months, later I return to Wild Cat Den for a 5k trail run. I have been racing very well lately and was anxious to add this race under my belt. It started out down a very steep windy road. After about 1/4 mile we veered off onto the trails. OH MY! We went up stairs, down stairs, through the forest, across a bridge, etc. etc. When they said trail run, they really mean trails as in deep through the forest with all the wildlife & nature along with it. About 1/2 mile to the finish I was headed down a steep hill and I tripped and fell. I don't know exactly how or what happened (I overhead someone later say they saw me trip on a tree root). It happened really fast. Once I did fall though I could feel the searing pain shoot through my ankle. I got up and hobbled along, not sure if I was going to finish or not. It really, REALLY hurt (and I have a high pain tolerance). Finally I was able to regain my speed and finished my race. I was the 2nd female to cross the finish line. My time was much slower than usual, but considering the race course & conditions it was appropriate.

Once I was done I hobbled to the side to check out the damage of my fall. Other than some scrapes & bruising, I had acquired a nice fat goose egg of a bump on my ankle. Nice! I did my best to R.I.C.E. my injury, but it bruised and swelled. It wasn't bad enough to keep my off my feet, but I had to hobble around for a week or so and had it wrapped in a brace.

This race is certainly memorable! Not sure if I'll run next year or not?!?!?!




Right after my race (adrenaline still pumping through me), I hadn't even taken my shoe off yet. It might be hard to see, but I have dirt up in my hair line & down my face, on my shoulder and down my side too. I had a lot of bruising that showed up a few days later. OUCH!

ACK! I have a kankle! Bruising was just beginning to set in at this point.

No comments: