Monday, April 13, 2009

Ready.....Set.....Go.....

Ahhhh, racing season is here again. Jim & I kicked it off with a local race here in Galesburg. The Carl Sandburg Run has been going for 28 years strong. I have run in this race several times, many of them taking 1st place. You can choose between a 2 or 4 mile run. I always choose the 2 mile. It takes me back to my high school race distance. I recruited some of my friends to join me which helped make the event more fun.

Of course, Jim was there too. (Don't ask what he is doing in the picture...I HAVE NO IDEA!) I look forward to having Jim there to keep me company....at least before & after the race, I usually have no idea where he is during the race.

Jim ran the 4 mile run. Once I was done I circled back out on the course to see him finish. He kept a good pace with our friend Sarah. They helped keep each other going on a solid 9 minute pace. He finished in the 36 minute range.

I was able to finish 1st in the 2 mile women's race. I did have some competition though. For most of the race I had a 14 year old girl in front of me a bit. It helped give me some focus to not slack off and cruise to a finish. I had to work hard to catch up with her. I passed her with less than a quarter mile to go and she never caught up. I finished with a good time of 13:50. I didn't even run that fast in high school. Now I know that it's not that I couldn't....I certainly had the ability, I just never tried that hard. Although in many ways it feels so much better now after having birthed my 6 children and battled the ups and downs and life.
There was a newspaper article that had all the details listed. ( http://www.galesburg.com/sports/x1548673993/CSC-RUN-Races-draw-135-runners ) The photographer took my picture, like an upclose shot of me. But I'm glad he didn't use it for the actual article. I like running & racing to get publicity. And I've learned over and over it's not always about the winning or winner.
We have another race next weekend in my hometown. And a few more in the near future. It's really just the beginning....







No comments: