Last year Jim & I ran our first marathon. We survived and crossed the finish line together, which was the main goal of the day. Jim swore he was NEVER going to run a marathon again. Of course, I was hooked. I knew I was going to love it. I did things backwards and had already run an ultra that was farther than a marathon so, of course, I loved the 26.2 distance and knew it would do it again and again. I was proud of Jim for doing what he wanted to accomplish. If he was no fan of the distance that is ok with me.
Months passed and Jim decided he was going to do another marathon. Not only that, but he was going to improve on his time and whole marathon experience as well. We raced the same marathon that we had completed last year. I love this race. It's nice and flat. They have a great organization, shirts, swag, people out cheering on the course, etc. etc. I highly recommend this race and hope to make it an annual tradition.
Last Saturday was the marathon. The weather started out pretty freaky. Howling wind and pouring down rain before we even left the hotel was not what we were looking forward to. Luckily the weather passed through rather quickly. While it was still cool and overcast it turned out to be fairly ideal running weather. This year our plan of attack was different. Yes, we both wanted to improve our time. If we stayed together, great. If not then we were each on our own. We had no doubt that one would do just fine without the other.
Carmen finished in 3:54, which was a 1:25 improvement over last year. Jim finished in 4:30, which was a 45 minute improvement over last year. Even more so Jim handled the running and after effects so much better. He's becoming a pro! Although he is back to stating that he will not run another marathon. We'll see....
Here is a picture of us after the race:
If you want a much deeper detailed race report from my aspect, you can check out my personal blog.
I already booked a hotel for next years race. I plan to race. The big question is: will Jim?

No comments:
Post a Comment