Saturday, May 12, 2012

spring soccer

The last two years John & Andrew have played spring soccer. They really enjoy doing it! John is a little disappointed that this will be his last year. Into Jr. High soccer is only played in the fall & John already has plans to run cross country and/or play football.

This year has been a little different. I was asked to coach Andrew's k-1 team. I wasn't planning to do this, but since there was a need and I was given an assistant coach then I agreed to take this on. Both Jim & I have coached in the past, back when John and Brianna played in the k-1 league.

I have a full roaster of 15 kids. 15, 5 & 6 years olds. Yeah, it's interesting. Even for this mom of "lots" of kids and a high tolerance and great ability to handle it all with apparent ease....it's a lot! The kids are great though. I've had a great time so far.

Since I am busy coaching I haven't been able to be there at John's games as much. We often are playing within close proximity of each other, but at the same time. Or his game is right before mine, so I get to see a little bit then take off to meet up with my team, etc. Finally today, our schedules allowed me to actually sit and watch John's whole game. I made up for my lack of absence the first few games by snapping 40 some pictures. I won't post them all, just a few good ones. John is a great, natural players and shines on the field. John is wearing blue, take a look:





Andrew's game was much later in the morning so I headed home & told Brianna I wanted her to come and take pictures during Andrew's game.  One of the downfalls of being coach is that I don't get the luxury of sitting down & watching at all.  In the mean time a nice line of rain & storms rolled into our area.  We still dressed and got ready to go.  The lightening & thunder had stopped, but it was pouring rain.    I didn't mind being out there, I'm not made of sugar & I won't melt.  Most of our team was there, but the other team only had 4 players and the coach hastily replied "I do not want to be out there!"  I had to work hard to not judge the woman, I'm sure she's nice & a good coach.  But she was dressed in jeans & a shirt, hair & make up done to the max.  Even on a nice sunny day she wasn't dressed for the situation.   At least not in my opinion, which, that is all this is....just my opinion.  My team was very disappointed that we didn't have anyone to play.  Just for fun we did a lap around the field in the pouring down rain with a bunch of whoops & hollers.

Once back home I had Nina take a picture of us.  You can't tell, other than the wet ground, but it was still raining, although it had let up quite a bit.  I had chosen to wear my Joy Bondi Band mostly because the color matched best with what I was wearing.  As we were standing in the rain, waiting for the official call of the game a parent turned to me, read my band and said "that is a nice sentiment considering the situation".  It made me realize that even amidst the pouring rain and less than ideal conditions one can really have a sense of joy about the situation.
I promise to get pictures of Andrew's game next week.  Andrew is quite the natural player himself.

No comments: