Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Kisses from Germany

I received a package in the mail yesterday. It was from my German sister, Britta. She was our first full year exchange student my parents hosted when I was still living at home. It happened to also be my senior year of high school. Such a profound time in a person's life. While I never had any problems with Britta we weren't particularly close either. None the less we bonded on a deep level, for I have always considered her a sister and think of her often. I've only seen her once in the last 18 years since she went back home to Germany. I miss her. I had actually received an email from Britta a few weeks ago. Although I don't believe in coincidences it seems odd that the morning we bid farewell to Merle, our German daughter, I came home and found an email awaiting me from Britta. It was so good to hear from her. We don't keep in touch like we should so it had been awhile. She had told me she had sent a package. She has been ever faithful at sending them through out the years. I had still forgotten about the package so was delighted when the kids brought it in from the mail box. These are the goodies she sent us:
Before I even opened the package I was fairly certain that a specific treat would be included. Typically I have to wait a year or longer to even have my favorite German treat. Although, thanks to Merle, I did have some recently. I'll be honest. I'm totally 100% selfish when it comes to this treat. I like to hide the box and selectively treat myself over the course of time. Sometimes though, I have no restraint and eat them all rather quickly. Depends on my mood. I did share and now have the box in hiding. My secret : ) It gets me so excited though, I just love them. I call them chocolate strawberry yogurt sticks. They are the BEST!
Of course, all of this got me to thinking about Merle. I miss her! I miss hearing her talk and laugh. Seeing her smile. It's only been a few weeks since she left and she was here for only a short time, but I miss her so much! It feels like a lifetime since she left, yet I can still so vividly imagine her like I just saw her yesterday. I am so thankful for our time we had with her. No doubtedly I'm also so thankful for all the times I had with Britta, as well.  Such rich blessings I have been given in my life!

No comments: