Last Friday night we had a rare evening with not only nothing to do, but had all the kids home with nothing to do. At first this bothered me a little bit. I can be such a social butterfly that I hate sitting home when we could be out doing something. Or even if we stayed home, we could host someone and I'd still get my people fix. So earlier in the day I sent a few text to friends trying to get something figured out. Nothing seemed to fall into place so I just decided to not pursue anything else & just let it be a night home. As much as it drove me crazy I knew it wasn't going to be a completely bad thing.
When Jim got home from work he tried to formulate a plan as well. Not with other people but with us as a family. By then I was pretty much in a blah mood so I just let the issue slide. Once we had our usual friday night pizza we all started all doing our own thing. Jim worked outside in the yard. I sat watching old CSI episodes & reading my latest Runner's World. The kids played happily on their own, a few of them outside, a few on the computer. I was feeling a little guilty about not being out with the family. Before I realized it though all the kids were all getting along really well & actually playing/hanging out with each other. The boys played outside. The girls started to give each other make overs & fixing each others hair, etc.
Even though I had not purposely planned such a family night, it ended up being such a great night. You CAN'T plan this kind of stuff....it just happens in a kind of magical kind of way. And I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars. Looking ahead to my calender I don't foresee another night like this for a long time. We'll take them while we can get them.
(I wish I had taken more pics, but then again I was not trying to force or create this family night illusion, I was just letting it happen so I only snapped a shot or two.)

No comments:
Post a Comment