Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas recap

I was a little sick last week. It was actually just your basic cold. I tried to ignore it & "do it all" and I eventually crashed & burned. I finally just got the Christmas letter & picture finished & mailed YESTERDAY! Note to self: you are not the young spring chicken that you used to be!

Plenty of good Christmas memories were still made. I managed to get the traditional picture of the kids under the tree. This was an especially amazing feat as I got the cat (Bella) & dog (Martina) in the picture too. It took SEVERAL tries and a lot of patience, but it happened.


Another favorite memory made was getting the Luna sister picture taken. I always try & get this taken when all of us Luna girls are in the same place at the same time. We haven't had one taken since May 2009. I know that doesn't sound like too long ago. We are all together once every year or two. I still like to capture that moment and the family that GOD chose us to be. Unlike our friends, spouses, in laws, etc. we literally have no choice over who is birthed into our families. I personally don't like to argue with God & his master plan. So even though I may have a different personality than my sisters & we don't see things eye to eye & I at times wonder how we are possibly related & honestly they at times drive me completely crazy...I LOVE them because they are my sisters!!


My last great memory of this year (there are many more, I just picked a few highlights) was getting this Barbie doll. Let me go back & fill in some of the details. For the first time in I don't know how many years Jim wanted us to buy each other Christmas presents. We had gotten into the habit of just making it about that kids that we stopped buying each other gifts. This was hard for me cause gifts is one of my main love languages (more of me giving, but I have no problem receiving either), but I managed. I gave Jim a list of gift ideas for me. That list did not include any Barbie dolls. He got my a very nice soft plush bathrobe, a new pot less coffee maker & other things. But he also got me this Barbie doll. When I first opened it I was confused. Since it was a bride barbie I wasn't sure if it was to somehow symbolize our wedding from this year or what. I just sat there confused and like "okkkaayyy????". So Jim explained. The week earlier when we had our Luna family Christmas I had told my niece that I had NEVER received a Barbie doll while growing up. I have no idea why I brought that memory up, something spurred the conversation and I mentioned it out TO MY NIECE, not Jim. To clarify, we were not really poor while growing up, but we didn't have much either. My oldest sister once got a Barbie, I think for her birthday. In the big 80's boom of barbie dolls when every little girl seemingly had one or several it was something that we never really had in our home. Just the one and it was my sisters. I remember being very aware of my friends having them & wanting one too. I obviously grew up & turned out to be a fine woman of society despite that lack of plastic doll influence in my life, but I tease that I never had such an iconic item in my life. Jim, over heard all of this and then went out & bought me my first Barbie to be received as a gift. He told me "you said you never got a Barbie & I wanted to be the person to make that childhood dream come true." At this point I'm choking back the tears. Wow! This gift meant more than anything cause it truly came from the heart and I love it!!!!

No comments: