Monday, October 25, 2010

OUCH!

I had plans to blog about other things. Happy things. But I'm really wanting to crawl into bed with a warm cup of soup and just snuggle for the evening. I'm not sick. Didn't have any major physical operations or something drastic. No, I had dental work done today. More specifically a root canal. My first ever in my life. I knoooooow! Poor Carmen! (just amuse me here and pour the pity on, ok ?!?!)

This all started over a year ago when I had a previous filling fall out. Doing the total mom thing I just let it go. It wasn't bothering me. Besides the kids all needed to see the dentist & have work done. I put myself on the bottom of the see the dentist list and that was that. Recently though, I was starting to have some pain. Now, I have a pretty high pain tolerance (hello, six natural child births might be your first clue). But this pain was really hitting hard. It was difficult to get to sleep at night. I would wake up at odd hours of the night with throbbing pain. It just plain hurt. I knew this was getting serious so I finally went to the dentist & started to get this taken care of. And the rest is history, right?!?! I wish.

I have a random tendency to resist novocane. Some times I respond to it just fine, other times not. This was a not kind of day. I took 3 shots of novocane & could still feel things just a little bit. It wasn't earth shattering pain, but I could feel it. I had to bear down and let the dentist open the tooth & get all the way down to the root. Once he was in there he had to directly inject the needle & novocane into the nerve. (you are either shrieking & shuttering or giving me some more "poooooor Carmens"). Once we got past all of that it really was completely painless. My dentist is a gem. He did a great job taking his time & working through this process with me.

Now, I'm at home though. Drooling & talking all funny. I tried having a conversation with Jim & he kept grinning at me. He did TRY and be all serious. But, come on, this is Jim we're talking about. I appreciate his sense of humor to help me laugh through my misery. As this novocane wears off more & more....I'm gonna need it!

1 comment:

Suzie said...

I understand the root canal thing. I've had 3. However, my pain was all pre-root canal. All I had during and after was beautiful relief. I'm sorry you had to go through that pain and that you have a novicain issue. Up side-it's all over with now.