I'll let you decide after I describe my run from this morning.
For a few weeks now I've been meeting with some friends who also enjoy running. We all have different running paces & preferences. For the most part though, I'm the odd ball cause I like to run "fast". Now I'm not boasting to be a runner of Olympic ability (although as a young teen I dreamed of being an Olympic runner). But for me to run casually is impossibly fast for them. They love me for it and send me on ahead in our runs.
Since we are all moms we need to run very early in the day to get back on time & see our husbands off to work & start our day. 5:15 a.m. is when we meet up & we're hitting the road by 5:30. The last few weeks we've done an out & back route that you really can't mess up. You run until you can't anymore, because the road ends, then turn around and go back. It's pretty simple. Except for the 2 massive rottweilers we have to pass along the way. It's not as scary when you're running with other people. Since I tend to get ahead though it's very freaky running by yourself and past those beasts. Well, at least my freinds will come across my body should the dogs ever attack me and pull me apart by my limps in the middle of the road. One of the perks to being in front of the pack & not drastically behind. (I should note here that running gives your mind A LOT of time to think & ponder such crazy notions).
This morning we decide to go on a new route. It's not an out & back, but more of a loop around. It was dark when we headed out & I stayed with them for the first mile or two. Eventually I broke away & set my own pace, in my own little running world. I was very confident I knew where I was going. If not I usually am just enough ahead of the pack that I can turn back & still seem them, even if it's in the far distance. I remember Amy (this is her "neighborhood" that we run in, which is way out in the country) telling me to go up 2 big hills before I need to turn left. When I got to the top of that second hill I looked back & could not see them at all. Hmmmmm? Interesting. Maybe I was going along a lot faster than I realized. I was sure of the second hill instructions. Up ahead I saw a stop sign & road & figured that must be where I need to go.
I'm not really sure at what I point I realized that I was lost and had no clue where I was going. I kept bouncing back & forth between I know where I'm going and where the heck am I? Some points I was sure this was the route Amy had described. The big winding hill that veers to the right before I turn left again. Yep, went down that road. Didn't expect the big black I'm-not-sure-what-kind-of-breed-dog chased me down another road. (When the dog is big & black & barking ferociously at you, you don't exactly look it in the eye to see what breed it is).
I did note at what point I stopped sweating, which is running/fitness terms is not the best sign. I kept running though. I noted the time when I reached an hour and was still nowhere close to knowing where I was. But I have a general good sense of direction so I kept going. Finally got to a road where I was confident that this would lead me back to Amy's house. That feeling was smashed though when I came across and pasture of donkeys & llamas. I in no way remember passing this farm before, so how could I be on the right road?!?!?! I kept running. Just with about a 1/2 mile to go I finally did see Amy's house. By then I was down to a jog/shuffle and my stomach was beginning to cramp up. It had been 1 hour & 30 minutes since I left. Sarah & Nikki had already left. Amy was out looking for me, her husband chuckled as I staggered into the house.
When I left I retraced my route in my van. I know that the longest distance I've ever ran is 7 miles. In running theory you up your mileage slowly by a mile or so per week. Today I ran 11. Sure I may have gotten lost in the process, but it was definitely a running adventure to me!
No comments:
Post a Comment