Friday, July 31, 2009

Best Friends & Baby


Mandy is my best friend. I met her 24 years ago when I moved to a new house & new school. We had a few rough spots, but for the most part were very close growing up. But then, you know, we grew up. We got married, moved away, etc. One of us started popping out babies....several of them :). It was rough, I can only imagine. We still do our best to be best friends. We shop a few times a year, always meet up for birthday dinners. And finally, we join each other in the role of motherhood. Side by side. I might be considered the pro & her the newbie.

What makes this so special & miracalous is that Mandy never expected to bear children herself. Many, many years of problems, treatments, doctors & specialist. Late last year Mandy came to the point where she just accepted this was how it was gonna be. I felt my heart sink when she told me she was scheduling her hysterctomy in a few days. Only a few days later she called me frantically to tell me to check my email NOW! What waited for my eyes to see was the most precious sight ever....an ultrasound picture of her baby!!!!

Even though she wasn't due for another 3 weeks Mandy had to have a sudden c-section, which appeared to be worse than my 6 deliveries combined. I joined the rest of the family at the hospital for this special day. And we welcomed Drew Daniel into this world.


1 comment:

Courtney @ splashing grace said...

Congratulations to Mandy! He's a beautiful little guy!