Thursday, February 28, 2008

What makes me so special

Jim said to me the other day, "You know what makes you so special?" Before I tell you his answer I'll explain what led him to say such a thing.

It was 4 a.m. on tuesday. I heard someone's feet hit the floor upstairs. (Our bedroom is down on the main level, all the kid's are upstairs). In my mommy ninja skills I was awake in that split second I heard the first noise. Then came the sound of feet rushing down the stairs. I was bracing for my what now mentality. Who had a bad dream or fell out of bed or who knows what. Into my room crept Mandy, wide eyed & frantic. She tells me that Angel has thrown up.

I jump out of bed & rush upstairs to their room. I was very confused as I found Angel sitting in bed with no puke in sight. I guess I had invisioned it all over her bed or something. I mean isn't that why she sent her sister down to get me? Well, she explains that she was being thoughtful and didn't want to make me have to wash all of her bed linen. So she threw up on the floor. But not on the side that has carpet, again being thoughtful, but on the side of the bare hardwood floor.

Different mentalities I guess. I would have rather had it all over her bed linen so I could just scoop it (the bedding) all up, shake off the chunks & then throw it in the wash. With it all over the floor I had to get down and clean up the goopey mess. Blech! I have a fairly sensative stomach. Not that it ever matters in motherhood. So fun, fun, I get to clean it all up. I made several trips up & down the stairs keeping quiet to not wake the whole house. Just going about my motherly duty.

By time it was all said & done (baby) Carmen was starting to fuss & stir so she got up to nurse. It was good timing I guess. It worked into her usual feeding time. I snuggle back into bed shortly after 4:45 a.m. in time to catch just a bit more sleep before I get up at 6 a.m. to see Jim off to work.

Before I sent him out the door with his bagel & coffee I told him about Angel getting sick. He seemed confused. When I told him that Mandy is the one who came down to get me he said "now I know you're really telling me stories". I guess he was thinking that maybe I was telling him of one of my crazy dreams I had that night. He also asked if Carmen got up to nurse, I was like "ummmm, yeaaaaaah". He asks if I woke her up or if she got up on her own. I said "no she was crying, so I got her up." He was totally clueless that anything had gone in the early morning hours.

Jim called me later & says "Do you know what makes you so special?" I'm confused by his question, but stammer out a idunno. I can almost hear him grinning "You're special because you get up at 4 in the morning to clean up puke & don't even complain about it." I was a bit flabbergast by his compliment, but took it for all it was worth and I felt extreamly loved & honored at that moment. All thanks to some puke.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Carmen,

That is so well written!!! You should submit it to a mom's magazine!

And you so special :)

Courtney @ splashing grace said...

that is quite the compliment! You're a great mom - and very special! :)

Enriched-Mom said...

Such a nice compliment from your man. You are an amazing mom!