Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Feliz Cumpleanos Juan Antonio

We celebrated another birthday last weekend here at the zoo.  John turned 11 years old.  In his honor we arranged for a national football game to be held and televised for millions to view.  Oh, wait.  That was already going to happen anyway.  Well, then it just turns out that both occasions occurred on the same day.

We celebrated a couple days earlier with John having a sleepover with his buddies.  First we were going to take them swimming.  Then I realized the Y was closing early for an event.  So we decided we could take the boys to the church to run around, play dodge ball & the likes at the church.  Except the church was booked and that plan was not going to work anyway.  So we just fed them pizza, chips & pop and let them play around the house.  Boys don't need much beyond their imagination to have an active game of tag or war or something involving guns (toy ones or imagination ones with them using their fingers and making their own sound effects).  I didn't get any pictures but we had several moments of a group of boys barricaded in the living room with a fort of pillows and blankets.  And another group of boys in the kitchen & dining room making an attempt at an ambush.  It was fun to just sit & watch them play.  Boys just being boys in their still innocent & simple ways.  Otherwise the boys watched movies & played video games.  I went to bed and let them be, but was woken at 1:30 a.m. with noise of them playing around.  I went out, scolded them to be quiet & settle down.  Figuring that was that I went back to bed & slept soundly again until I was awoken at 5 a.m.  There were still 3 boys (one of them being John) up playing video games & being a little too loud!  Crazy boys!  GO TO BED!  One boy forgot to tell me he was getting picked up at 8 a.m., even though the party was not ending until 10.  We were all still asleep when a knock on the door woke us.  That is fun to answer the door to a parent when I'm barely awake.  They were very understanding!  It did get me up and moving to fix breakfast for the remaining group.  I made them a nice breakfast of eggs, toast & orange juice.  However many of them opted to eat left over pizza instead.  BOYS!!!!

Here are some pictures from John's party:

In this picture they were coming up with different ways to "blow out" the candle.  They all clapped really hard & managed to get the flame out.  They spent several minutes doing many different tricks to accomplish that.  Somethings I was NOT going to take a picture of!


 A little sibling frosting fight erupted during the evening.

It is so hard to believe that it has been 11 years since I gave birth to my first son.  After my mistaken gender guess with Nina I was reluctant to think one way or another about what I was having.  The ultrasound showed that he was a boy.  After 3 girls & being wrong on the last one I wouldn't believe it. I kept saying "I'll believe it when I see it!"  Since I didn't grow up with a brother (mine died as an infant) it was very important to me to have a son.  We knew all along that IF and when we did have a boy his name would be John Anthony, after Jim's grandpa.  My dad likes to call him Juan Antonio since that is the Spanish version of his name.

John was a twin.  I didn't give birth to his twin.  An early ultrasound confirmed the second baby, however by then the heart had already stopped beating (how amazing to see the perfectly formed 4 heart chambers on such a small baby).  It's a condition they call an invisible twin where the second baby just absorbers into the baby that is still alive.   I have always longed for twins with such a deep passion.  It seemed so unfair that of all pregnancies this is when I had conceived twins.  It was very bittersweet.  Since Brianna was only 3 months old I'm sure God knew what He was doing with His master plan.  Both John and I grieve and long for that twin (who's name is Matthew).  We know he's up in heaven waiting for us someday.

I had slipped in the bathtub a few days before John was born and strained some of my supporting ligaments.  Since I was pretty uncomfortable they admitted me & induced me.  I was already 5 days past due.  My labor was short & sweet and when John was finally born it was such a sweet moment to hold my son.  Since then it's been very different to raise a boy, but such a joy as well to see him grow into a young man. .

No comments: