Thursday, September 1, 2011

Last, but not least

Our camera is still MIA so I can't post about the 1st day of school for the others.  I did manage to capture Carmen's 1st day of preschool using my phone camera.

All 6 of our children have now attended Bright Futures, a district run, state funded preschool.  Attending children have to be screened & accepted into this preschool.  Initially when Angel was screened 12 years ago she was not accepted.   I have no idea what the specifications are for getting in or not.  I know they look for children who need social intervention or have a learning disability.  There is a certain ratio of "needy" children that are accepted.  Income guidelines is another one.  Despite Jim making a decent salary at his government job and us living off of/surviving just fine on that one income we still fall under those certain guidelines because our family size is "so large" (maybe we're just normal and everyone else is not....haha).  Anyway, when Angel was not accepted we enrolled her in the high school preschool program, but that only lasted 1 semester.  In the mean time, not all the slots filled up at Bright Futures so they sent out letters to all those that were screened and opened enrollment to anyone.  That is how we got our foot in the door and we never looked back.

It's not guarantee that siblings are granted enrollment in the preschool, so with each kid we hoped & prayed they would be accepted.  I'm sure we have plenty of other fine preschools here in town, but I didn't want them.  I wanted Bright Futures.  The teachers there have been wonderful and we have been nothing but satisfied with the program.  Perhaps when Carmen leaves that school in 2 years I will have to reflect upon our time with that preschool.  We have a lot of memories there!

Of course, taking Carmen to her first day of preschool was very bittersweet.  I have never been one to be emotional about my kids going off to school.  Since it's becoming more & more evident that our kids are getting older & the scale is tipping toward them all leaving....I am an emotional mess.  On the flip side I am enjoying my "freedom" of having my afternoons free.

Enjoy the pictures of my baby girl's first day of preschool : )



No comments: