YIKES! I now have 2 children with double digits for their age. Yes.... yes.... I am getting "old". Anyway, this post is not about me, but Mandy.
10 years ago I was 5 days overdue with child number 2. We knew she was a girl & we knew we would name her Mandy after my childhood & best friend Mandy. My mom & I went shopping at Shop Ko when I first felt labor pains. Since I was induced with Angel I wasn't sure if what I was feeling were really contractions. We kept shopping.
I knew that if indeed I was in labor & would be going to the hospital that once I got there they would not let me eat. So I insisted we go to lunch & we stopped at Fazoli's. I kept having my contractions, noting each one to my mom. They were getting a lot more noticable. FOOD, though was more important at the time. As we are finishing we decide we better go home, get my bags & head to the hospital. On our way out of the restaurant I had a big contraction that stopped me dead in my tracks, right there in the parking lot. Phew!
Once at the hospital I labored on my own just fine. It turns out that was to be the only time I labored on my own without the aid of any meds. At about 6 p.m. it was time to be pushing. I assured Jim that there was plenty of video on the camera for the event. But in an instant I let out a blood curling scream & the camera clicked off. God knew, what was going to happen. It was awful. She was stuck. Medically known as shoulder dystocia. Look it up, it will make you squirm.
I'll leave out the other gory details & jump ahead to 6 minutes later & Mandy was born. Any dr. or medical person I know who has heard the full story & details tells me, it's a miracle that Mandy is not only alive, but that she also survived the event with no ill effects.
I always say that from the minute Mandy tried to come out she was all about drama, my little drama queen that she is today. She's our spunky gal. We love her so much! Happy birthday Mandy!
No comments:
Post a Comment