We had a big moment yesterday morning when Andrew went potty on the potty chair for the first time.
We've had prior attempts at potty training. You'd think I was asking him to sit on an electric chair the way he acted with the potty chair. It came with tears & big fits of screaming. OK, then he's not ready. We'd still talk about going potty and being a big boy. But I was not going to push the issue. And quite honestly I'm too lazy to really work at this area. Either he's ready & gonna do it or he's not. Don't look at me to set the timer for every hour to ask him if he has to go & make him try, etc. etc. Just me.
None of the other kids potty trained until they were closer to 3. Angel is the only one who did so before her 3rd birthday, everyone else was a month or two after their 3rd birthday. Let me tell you though, when they got it, they got it. Literally within a day or two. I've never done pull ups, we've never had accidents in public. Just done & potty trained. So I'm in no rush, Andrew doesn't turn 3 until November. I'll admit the thought does tempt me. Sure I'd love to have him out of diapers. I'm tired of buying them & changing them.
Two weeks ago we had a break through when he went potty at the Y. They have one of those cute toilets that sits 2 feet off the floor. They babysitter told me he went potty when they changed his diaper. From that day on he would at least sit on the potty with happiness & delight. To me that is an inch forward in progress. So we've been doing this off & on at home. Sitting on the potty.
Yesterday I sat him on the potty then turned my attention to getting Carmen changed & dressed when he proclaimed "I done". I realized that I wasn't even paying attention to him even sitting there. (Normally I sit right there & we talking about potty, we *listen* to hear if it's coming, etc.) I looked real quick & saw potty in there! WOO HOO! You'd think I just won a million dollars.
Now, he then went the rest of the day in his diaper. We did try again that night, but nothing happened. I told you I'm lazy so I didn't give it as much thought at he did. Now if he had come to me & said potty then sure I'd sit him on there. I'm just thrilled that we are inching forward toward this big change. He'll get it one day. Until then, we'll just take it one potty at a time : ).
1 comment:
I am the same way when it comes to potty training!
He will get it!!
Post a Comment