Thursday, May 15, 2008

14 years ago.....

Jim was out "recruiting for friends" and happened to snag me. Seriously....that was his line, "I'm recruiting for friends, can I list you as a possibility?"

I was still a senior in high school, just finishing out my last few weeks at school. I actually had a boyfriend. And I was ready to ship out to basic training for the Army Reserves in another 6 weeks or so and then head to college (FBBC) when I got back. So I wasn't too sure why I needed this guy to be my friend, but sure, hey why not. Not everything made sense in my 17, almost 18 year old head.

Just for fun & strictly as friends (remember I had a boyfriend) we went out on a "date" that night. Dinner at Pizza Hut (they just tore that place down a few months ago) and then to church. I can still see myself in my white t-shirt, green pleated shirt & black strappy sandals (yes, I have GOOD memory). Afterwards we went down to the river and sat for HOURS talking. It got late....REALLY late. I kept calling home so my mom wouldn't get worried. I kept telling her I would be home soon, but a few more hours would pass & I'd call her again. I finally got home at 2 a.m.

I KNEW, just KNEW that night that I would marry this man. I promptly broke up with my boyfriend. 2 months later Jim proposed to me and 4 1/2 months after that we married.

And the rest, they say, is history. All because he was recruiting for friends.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

That's such a cute story :) "recruiting for friends"... or a wife!

LOL

Ericanaysha said...

Awww what a sweet story!!!!

Courtney @ splashing grace said...

Such a great story - I love the recruiting line :)