This year I almost didn't try out for the musical. I knew that it was going to be The Pirates of Penzance and I had watched a movie version of it month previous and was not impressed at all. I was just put off by it. As auditions drew near I talked myself into at least trying out. Never hurts to try, right!?!?!? I was cast as a governess. That role doesn't even exist within the script, but the director created it for a select few of us because unless you were late teens/early 20's there was no roles available except for the lone Ruth role. As the director pointed out, back in the 1800's, no woman of proper upbringing and with a prominent father would ever be out in public without her nanny/governess. Since he cast 9 daughters he allowed 3 of us
I was pre-warned about this director. I knew nothing of him until this musical and what I was warned of didn't bother me at all. I felt up to the challenge. It's not that he's all big, bad & scary. He is just extremely strict & has a very high standard of what he expects from us personally, musically & theatrically. He was taking on a very challenging musical score and would settle for nothing less than the best this community had to offer. Challenging is right on when it comes to the music. My younger years of music training served me well and I, along with the cast, rose to the occasion and we had a fantastic performance of this show. We have all heard rave reviews about our performances last weekend. Hailed as one of the best this community has ever seen. In essence...we were awesome : )
Here is a slideshow of pictures to help capture the show. Several hundred pictures were taken, but I tried to narrow it down.
Also for those who don't live locally I was able to get some video clips during one of our dress rehearsals. If you are really interested in seeing the whole show I can loan you a DVD copy of the show that was taped professionally. However to keep from copyright infringement I was not able to video record the whole show. Not to mention my camera is not of professional quality so it's not the best video footage, but it gives a good view and an idea of what we put on. If you want to see those video clips you can go this Youtube account and see what I have posted. Just remember some songs and dialogue are missing, but what I did get I listed them in order of the show from end to beginning.
I am so glad that I tried out for & was able to be a part on this musical (technically it's an operetta, but we still refer to it as a musical). The director, cast and crew were phenomenal to work with. So far, my best experience by far with musical theater. Next summer they are putting on the King and I....I can't wait!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment