Do you know Carmen Peterson? OH YES! Of course....she is that "crazy" woman with "all" those kids. She runs marathons ALL the time!
Not really. Well, at least the marathon part. Sure I'll admit to being a little (or a lot) crazy. And yeah, I have more kids than the average American household. I can even say that I run A LOT or even all the time (to most people anyway). But the fact is, I've never ran a marathon. Not even close. I bet though, if you surveyed everyone who knows me 99% of them would tell you that yes, Carmen Peterson runs marathons.
That is the great myth of me. When I dispel this myth people are shocked to hear the truth. I suppose all my running must mean to many that I'm always training for some big race. I also suppose since I do triathlons often (at least once a year) people confuse one -on word with the other.
The fact is the longest I have raced is 7 miles (and I only did that race once). I've done a handful of 4 & 5 mile races, there is also my favorite 2 mile race that I run each year here locally. The rest of my race record (and there are dozens and dozens of them) are 5ks (3.1 miles).
This weekend I will embark on a new journey. One that will take me one step closer to turning that marathon myth into a fact. Not 100% yet though. I will be racing in the St. Louis 1/2 marathon on Sunday morning. For those of you not number inclined that means the race is 13.1 miles. I've only ran that far twice in my life. But I've done a lot of training to prepare me for this event. I'm not worried about the running & finishing aspect of it all. I'm very excited!!
I promise to give you all a full update.....once I get caught up on this blog. Yeah, I know I'm eternally behind. Until then I'll be working to change that Carmen myth. Once I get this race behind me I have a summer full of 5ks and then, yes, I am planning to do my first full marathon in September. : )
No comments:
Post a Comment